Role Title: Head of Student Support Services
Job Category: Academic
Reports to: Director General
Direct Reports: Secondary Special Needs Coordinator, Primary Learning Support teachers, Primary Counsellor, Secondary Counsellor
Main Purpose of the Role:
The Head of Student Support Services will be responsible for the overall functioning and performance of the Learning Support and Counselling departments, providing day to day leadership and direction. The Head of Student Support Services is also responsible for the development of procedures and policies to increase the effectiveness of the Learning Support and Counselling areas and ensure student needs are met. In addition, the Senior Guidance Counselor will be responsible to oversee the school wide wellbeing program for the students.
- To create and develop a positive team atmosphere.
- To oversee the development of procedures and policies to increase the effectiveness of the Counselling and Learning Support areas and ensure student needs are met.
- To gather data to assess effectiveness of support provided.
- To develop strategic plans for the department.
- To lead teachers and administrators within the department through CDL’s performance evaluation system, in liaison with the Principals, such that good practice can be recognised, refinements made, and the level of performance documented.
- To actively promote the ethos of RISE (Respect, Internationalism, School Spirit, Excellence).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Relating to the Students
- To oversee the appropriate allocation of student support services.
- To oversee the referral process for students who have demonstrated learning and/or social & emotional issues.
- To oversee the Wellbeing program by supporting counseling staff o drive, develop and deliver relevant and appropriate workshops school wide such as anti-bullying, digital citizenship, transition programs and others.
Relating to Peers and the Staff Team:
- To assist in the growth and development of each team member’s potential, suggesting professional development activities linked to the needs of both the team member and the department.
- To maintain regular contact with the Boarding House Pastoral team.
Relating to the Hierarchy - Administration
- To maintain regular contact with the Academic Director and with the section Principals.
- To meet all additional teaching and pastoral responsibilities as outlined in the Learning Support or Counsellor’s job description.
- Supporting Services
- To monitor instructional areas to ensure that the facilities support instruction and are attractive, organized, functional, clean and safe, with particular attention to the visual and acoustic environments.
- To initiate the ordering of equipment and materials for the Student Support Services department through approved channels.
Skills / Qualities Required
MA in Counselling, Psychology or related field
Currently employed as a school counsellor within a school environment.
Prior Skills and Knowledge
Exceptional communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
Very advanced English written and oral skills.
Advanced French written and oral skills.
Sense of organization. Ability to take initiative and accept responsibility.
Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
Ability to listen – empathetic and attentive.
Experience working with Gr 6-18 age groups