Role Title: Graduate Assistant
Job Category: Boarding House
Reports to: Director of Boarding
Direct Reports: None
Main Purpose of the Role
The Graduate Assistant will work with a team of staff including the Senior House Parent in each House, the Deputy Head of Boarding and the Director of Boarding, to whom they are accountable. The post would suit applicants considering teaching as a career, but applications from other fields are welcome. This is a one year contract starting Mid-August 2021.
Boarding Responsibilities include:
- taking house duties in the evening during the week and every other weekend
- safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students in the boarding house
- giving help and support where needed
- ensuring that the general atmosphere of the house is conducive to study at the designated times
- organising and supervising weekend and evening activities
- reporting any maintenance issues in the boarding house
- manning the boarding office and assisting with administrative duties related to the running of the house
- maintaining appropriate standards of behaviour by the students
- supervising meal times and bed times when on duty
- assisting with matters concerning students’ health as directed by the School Nurse and in accordance with the school’s procedures
- keeping relevant records
- Airport transfers
It is anticipated that Graduate Assistants will have the opportunity to establish a link with a department within the school, and thus to gain further relevant experience of education. Please express your areas of interest in your application.
Academic Responsibilities may include:
- Covering lessons
- Helping EAL classes
- Supervision duties in school breaks and lunch
- Extra-Curricular Activity help
- Any other duties which may be required from time to time by the School
Terms and conditions
Graduate Assistants will be required to work throughout the term, with one day off per week and one weekend off once every two weeks.
It is important that the post holder is always aware of Child Protection guidelines and observes a professional distance from students whilst still developing effective working and caring relationships.
Accommodation in a Boarding House will be provided until the end of the Summer Term. This will be in the form of a furnished room. Meals are also provided during term time. Private Health insurance is compulsory in Switzerland and as part of the package, CdL will offer to their Graduate Assistant the Health Insurance.
Qualifications and training
Degree level education
Collegiate and collaborative team player
Proficiency in French – preferred
Ability to work under pressure and remain calm
Willingness to take on multiple tasks
Self-motivated and enthusiastic
Interest in undertaking a PGCE
Subject to regular review and changes.