Bucksmore provides academic short courses to students aged 10-18 that have been modelled on American summer camps, with ‘Counsellors’ who live with students, teach lessons and lead excursions and activities, providing a higher level of pastoral care, guidance, and friendship – giving students more than just ‘teachers’ and ‘activity leaders’ at a summer school.
Recognising that high-achieving and well-motivated individual students wanted more from a UK summer school than just English language, excursions and afternoon activities, we have developed more challenging courses such as EFL based Young Leaders and the subject based courses Young Professionals, University Preparation and Advanced Studies. In 2019 Bucksmore were proud to have been awarded the PIEoneer ‘Language Educator of the Year’ award showcasing our commitment to innovation and student involvement.
With over 40 years of experience to perfect and improve the quality of our prestigious summer schools, we are proud of the academic short courses we offer. It is our goal for each one of our courses to be the best course that our students have ever attended. We welcome over 75 different student nationalities every year across our courses and ensure there is always a good mix of students on our courses.
Bucksmore Programme Counsellors play an essential part in assisting the delivery of our academic programme as well as the activities programme, ensuring that students who attend our programmes have an unforgettable educational experience in a safe, caring environment. Engaging with students in all aspects of a course ensure that both students and staff make the most out of their time on a summer course. Tutors that are highly experienced in their field deliver academic sessions, while Programme Counsellors help deliver practical projects and workshops relevant for students and their own background. The activity programmes comprise of daytime and evening activities alongside full and half day trips to places of historical and cultural interest.
This list summarises the key tasks of the role and is not a definitive list of all the tasks to be undertaken as those can be varied from time to time at the discretion of the Centre Manager or Operations Manager and Head Office Team. Bucksmore will exercise this right reasonably.
- Organise and implement specialist workshops and projectsessions
- Prepare any necessary materials required for workshops and project sessions
- Organise and implement a wide range of afternoon and evening activities as directed by the Activity Manager and Centre Manager
- Promote the activity programme and ensure maximum student participation
- Participate, lead and supervise during activities
- Take responsibility or joint responsibility on off-site excursions and on-site activates
- Guide and supervise students on excursions and trips
- Assist with airport transfers and meet students on arrival
- Assist with student check in on airport transfer departures
- Supervise students during meal times as per the weekly staff rota
- Assist with wake up and bedtime duties as per the weekly staff rota
- Respond to general emergencies at all times
- Maintain proper levels of student discipline, safety and welfare