College Alpin Beau Soleil is seeking to recruit a
Teacher of French
From September 2022
College Alpin Beau Soleil is a unique school community in the Swiss Alps: home to 290 students aged 11-18 from 50 countries around the world and offering an unparalleled educational experience. We believe it’s what you do that counts, and our students take on challenges 7 days each week, in and out of the classroom, that help them develop into young people capable of taking on the world.
Curricular programmes in English and French, based around the IB Diploma, provide a foundation for academic success at universities around the world, whilst the experience of living and working with friends from all around the world sets up students as truly global citizens of the future. Everyone is an individual here, but we sum to a very special community.
Our alpine location in the heart of Villars-sur-Ollon in Switzerland offers an enviable lifestyle with skiing on the doorstep in the winter months and a multitude of outdoor and sporting activities throughout the year. Montreux, Lausanne and Geneva are all within easy reach for cultural adventures and inspiration, but we travel across Europe and around the world too.
The Beau Soleil campus is an inspiring place to work, with facilities that are second to none. Students and staff thrive in an environment of which they are proud, and which inspires us to better things every day.
As a fluent French speaker, you will have the ability to teach French as a foreign language. Ideally, you will be able to teach another language, Portuguese or Italian would be advantageous.
Working within the World Languages, Language teachers at Beau Soleil are expected to collaborate and innovate, sharing ideas and pooling strategies to shape a first rate classroom experience for all students. With the opportunity to work within a creative and forward-looking World Languages Faculty, this post is perfect for teachers who are passionate about their subject, enjoy engagement with young people, keen to share ideas, learn from others and who set the highest expectations of themselves and their classes.
As a qualified teacher you will be as well a fluent English and/or French speaker, ideally you will be familiar with the IBDP curriculum and confident working with students from diverse backgrounds. You will be an excellent communicator and confident with technology; someone who gets on well with colleagues, students and parents.
Amongst other things, you’ll be well organised, have a good sense of humour and will want to participate fully in the extracurricular aspects of school life including the boarding house as well as the classroom. We have a comprehensive learning programme that includes Saturday morning academics and exciting challenges ranging from climbing 4000m peaks to night time ski racing.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Relevant degree in French or similar
- English/French native speaker, Portuguese or Italian an asset
- Strong knowledge in IBDP curriculum
- Teaching qualification
- Build a strong profile for the subject within and beyond the World Languages Faculty, by working collaboratively and with a commitment to continuous improvement and development of the quality of students’ learning
- Develop and deploy resources to support high quality student learning, by planning effective teaching programmes which provide exemplary learning opportunities within and beyond the classroom
- Make effective use of formative and summative assessment to plan challenging learning opportunities for all students and effectively using homework and other extra-curricular learning opportunities
- Support the academic progress of a small group of students within one of our boarding house and support the boarding house via weekly duties and other occasional events
- Act as coach and mentor to individual tutees
- Support the life of the school beyond the classroom
- Lead one or more agreed after school activities each week
- Participate in residential weeks and other trips as appropriate
- Contribute to whole school learning initiatives
- 2 years’ teaching experience
- Experience of being part of a highly successful department and school
- Demonstrable evidence of innovating and adapting curricula to engage children and enable them to perform highly
- Experience of delivering the IB Diploma
- Passionate about education and learning
- Understanding of the complex and demanding environment of an international boarding school community
- Warmth and kindness, with flexibility and empathy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organisational skills
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be made via Beau Soleil recruitment website at www.beausoleil.ch/ en/about-us/employment-opportunities and should contain a CV, letter of application and the details of two professional referees.
The closing date for applications is Monday 15th August 2022.
Successful short listed candidates will be contacted straight away with initial discussions conducted remotely by telephone or video call.
Collège Alpin Beau Soleil is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. A police check is required prior to appointment.