Bucksmore provides academic short courses to students aged 10-18 that have been modelled on American summer camps, with ‘Counsellors’ who live with students, teach lessons and lead excursions and activities, providing a higher level of pastoral care, guidance, and friendship – giving students more than just ‘teachers’ and ‘activity leaders’ at a summer school.
Recognising that high-achieving and well-motivated individual students wanted more from a UK summer school than just English language, excursions and afternoon activities, we have developed more challenging courses such as EFL based Young Leaders and the subject based courses Young Professionals, University Preparation and Advanced Studies. In 2019 Bucksmore were proud to have been awarded the PIEoneer ‘Language Educator of the Year’ award showcasing our commitment to innovation and student involvement.
With over 40 years of experience to perfect and improve the quality of our prestigious summer schools, we are proud of the academic short courses we offer. It is our goal for each one of our courses to be the best course that our students have ever attended. We welcome over 75 different student nationalities every year across our courses and ensure there is always a good mix of students on our courses.
The position of Activity Manager (AM) is a highly responsible and challenging role, suitable only for those with excellent leadership, communication, time management and organisational skills. The AM’s chief role is to plan and organise the activity programme and effectively manage the Counsellors involved in each activity. The AM will ensure that each activity is prepared, implemented and correctly supervised as set out by the Bucksmore Head Office. As one of the senior managers the AM will work closely with the Centre Manager and Director of Studies to ensure the smooth day to day running of the centre.
This list summarises the key tasks of the role and is not a definitive list of all the tasks to be undertaken as those can be varied from time to time at the discretion of the Centre Manager or Operations Manager and Head Office Team. Bucksmore will exercise this right reasonably.
Training and Health & Safety:
- Attend the staff induction and take part in all Health and Safety related training
- Write and consult the risk assessment for an activity or excursion
Activity & Excursion Programme:
- Plan, organise and implement a range of appropriate activities during daytimes, afternoons and evenings
- Take responsibility for excursions, ensuring you have planned sufficiently well to guide the students effectively
- Research an excursion destination so as to be able to guide students effectively by leading and guiding students when on excursions and guided walking tours, communicating with them in a way that is clear, informative and engaging
- Ensure that activities and excursions you are running are structured, inclusive and appropriately resourced
- Help promote the activity programme to students by displaying posters or visiting classes
- Co-manage and motivate a team of residential and sometimes not residential staff
- Lead regular team meetings to inform Counsellors of their tasks related to the activity and excursion programme
- Monitor the performance of Counsellors and contribute towards staff appraisals
- Assist the Course Directorwith planning the weekly staff rota
- Represent Bucksmore as centre management and liaise with host college staff
- Manage a weekly budget
- Keep accurate records of budget spending and send to Head Office weekly
- Plan each week’s timetable before the start of the week and send to Head Office in advance to allow time for authorisation
Student Welfare & Supervision:
- Supervise students during meal times
- Where required assist with student transfers to and from airports as directed by the Course Director
- Where required, as part of your rota, perform waking up duties and ‘lights out’ duties
- Attend staff meetings as required
- Respond to general emergencies at all times
- Maintain proper levels of student discipline, safety and welfare
- Carry out any other reasonable task assigned to you by a manager to meet the operational demands of a centre
- Assist the Centre Manager with the set-up, shut-down and day-to-day running of the centre